Monday, September 13, 2004

Self worth

After visiting a relative recently, I have been bothered by how people interact with each other, ere go the following post about negative people that shouldn’t be occupying my daily thoughts.
How do people determine self worth? There are certain people in my family that constantly find fault with other people. This one is crazy, this one is too smart for their own good, this one cant cook…you get the idea. The same section in my family is what I refer to as nuvo-middle class. Maybe its just me but they assume since they are nuvo-middle class…they are inherently better than me…and most people for that matter. Mind you these people aren’t Ivey League educated, hell they aren’t even Community College educated, they aren’t independently wealthy business owners…they are smucks that go to a job everyday like me. Have they traveled the world??? No. Well read?? No. Is looking down on people a way for some people to create the illusion of a positive self-image? Looking down on people is a huge part of American culture. Television shows are dedicated to it…weather subtle or overt…its in our music and everyday water cooler conversation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home