Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Night Tracks

Since I was short watching videos for free…before we got cable, I have noticed that everyone wants to do an end of the year recap. Mine will not be a definitive “Top (blah, blah, blah) “ or anything as restrictive as that. My list is more organic, and less authoritative. Let’s call it, “The things I got into this year”. Fell free to give me yours or do it on your page so I can be nosey.

Music

Kanye West. For many reasons I liked College Dropout. 1.Anyone that gets a song called Jesus walks one the Billboard charts should be labeled a visionary. 2. I’ve heard reporters call him arrogant…mostly I’ve heard him say everyone thinks he’s arrogant. That’s an opinion, I can see where it comes from and I also see the need for humility. But a man that wrote Jesus Walks is not a megalomaniac. A man that gives himself a nick name on the other hand needs attention, a man that nick names him self, J-Hova…might be a little arrogant. I digress. Hip hop is about self expression…making something out of nothing…working with what you have. The human beat box. Turning a 3-4 second break on your dads James Brown or your moms Chic record into a 15 min song to let your friend rap over it. Turning vandalism into an art form. In a commercial landscape that only talks about 3 subjects its refreshing to see an artist change the approach. I like his attention to detail. From being his own stylist, and taking it back to 8th grad with the prep or die look, to having Aisha Tyler in a video, to the Prodigy rip off “All Falls Down” video the was pulled off lovely buy director Chris Milk. Lick one shot for Stacey Dash and that dress…and the breez that day.

If I ever said some asinine shit like, 'Yo, I'm gonna get nominated for the most awards ever,' people would just say I'm arrogant? But I'm not," he says. "So many people I work with just don't believe." He stops tapping on the console, looks up and focuses. "I don't see what's wrong with saying, I'm going to sell three million records. Not even saying 'I want to' but 'I am going to', in order to give myself that confidence. But people turn around and say I'm arrogant."

He pauses, cocks his head and resumes, gradually working himself into a frenzy.

"They're doubting. They're saying, first of all, you can't do it. And secondly, your method – to build your esteem up so that you have something to believe in and set your goals – is wrong too.

So they bashing you on both ends. You can't believe that there is something greater for you out there. [He puts on whiney voice] 'Oh, he's so arrogant! He has dreams. Why should he dream? And if he does dream, don't let him say it loud!'"

Kw

**This post will be in parts** Next part my inspirational woman of the year.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sivad said...

hey apocalypse, that was very well said. i like kanye a lot too, and i especially like him as a producer and an example of diligence paying off (and possibly luck too)

December 23, 2004 at 12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home