Thursday, September 16, 2004

Doing it.

Get your minds out of the gutter. I have always had an internal struggle about success and the definition of it and the degrees of success and what I feel I am comfortable with. For years I felt that ostentatious displays of wealth was unnecessary at the least and evil at the other extreme. I still feel like that in a way. We have pastors in my city that have private jets, and Bentleys. I was raised a Christian but I don’t offer myself as a well-read, knowledgeable Christian. From a purely definition of the word Christians are fowlers of Christ…I don’t see that as being in step with how Christ lived his life. Im not judging actions, I’m just offering a perspective of why I haven’t found a church home and really connected with the people there. For the past few years, well longer than that I have been trying to run away form something that I cant run away from, what I believe to be my purpose in life. Most of the people in my peer group have at least a bachelors degree most are working on or have finished graduate studies at some level. I would not say that anyone of them is “doing it”. They complain about their jobs, pay, bills and dating/married life. I think that the reason that none of them are “happy” or “doing it” is because we bought into a lie. Go to school, get a “good” job and get married. I don’t know one person that was pushed to follow his or her dreams. No one was taught how to successfully balance following your dreams and be strategic about how you do it.

**side bar, I’ve read this over and it dosent really make sence but maybe someone will grok*** where Im going with this**


In short I don’t believe that you can put limitations on what you do or how you do something if you are fulfilling your purpose.





***grok***To grok (pronounced GRAHK) something is to understand something so well that it is fully absorbed into oneself. In Robert Heinlein's science-fiction novel of 1961, Stranger in a Strange Land, the word is Martian and literally means "to drink" but metaphorically means "to take it all in," to understand fully, or to "be at one with." Today, grok sometimes is used to include acceptance as well as comprehension - to "dig" or appreciate as well as to know.
As one character from Heinlein's novel says: 'Grok' means to understand so thoroughly that the observer becomes a part of the observed - to merge, blend, intermarry, lose identity in group experience. It means almost everything that we mean by religion, philosophy, and science - and it means as little to us (because we are from Earth) as color means to a blind man.



Oh, payment for the Quattroporte?? Give me your routing number I'll have the bank wire it to you.

3 Comments:

Blogger QG said...

I'm concerned. No not about you. About Melissa. Don't know if you read her posts about her stalking ex. But now he blog is no longer up and running. I can't find the e-mail address I had for her. If I do, I'm going to e-mail her and make sure she's OK.

September 16, 2004 at 11:07 AM  
Blogger Apocalypse said...

Youre the second person to mention this...hold on Im going to send you guys the address...

September 16, 2004 at 11:21 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

You are so right. We are taught that to follow your dreams is 'gambling your life away' and to stay on the 'straight and narrow'(school,job,marriage) is a sure thing, it's safe. I'm making moves to follow my dreams this time.

September 16, 2004 at 9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home